Save the Artistic CD-Roms
It would be important to do something for CD-Roms. Many artistic works have been done in the 1980-1990's and are no longer readable.
To be remembered :
- some important efforts at Fondation Daniel Langlois (with the DOCAM), for imgration of CD's towards the web;
- The dvd-rom by Michael Snow is fully available on line, as well as one by Georges Legrady, From Analogue to Digital.
Definition . Compact disc. Sold in public since 1982. The CD Rom as a material suppor stays reliable some ten years. But the contents, to remain usable, must find the appropriate reading applications.
- Collection of CD-Rom "New Media" at Cornell University.
- Collection of artisticCD-Rom 1993-2000.
- Yves Bernard, director of Imal (Bruxelles) has also a collection of nearly 300 artists CDs.
- Author CD-Roms, see [Couchot 2003] pp 59-62 and Murray's Digital Baroque, mainly about CD-Rom works in the 1980's-1990's.
> I Photograph to Remember (1991), by Pedro Meyer, considered the author and [Vroege] as the first photographer to make use of a CD-Rom.
Paris ACM Siggraph, the French chapter of ACM Siggraph, worldwide non-profit organization of computer graphics.
Les Algoristes, an association of artists using their own algorithms in their work.